Monday, January 17, 2011

Bonjour!


So, I've been in Paris for over two weeks now, and it's been a really interesting experience. The beginning of study abroad is a little bit like the beginning of college. Everyone is on their best behavior, because no one wants to be the person without any friends. But, that can't last forever, and it seems like most everyone has fallen into a group by now.

The workload for study abroad hasn't been too intense, so I've really gotten a chance to take our weekends off to see the city.


Here I am at the Notre Dame, on Île de la Cité, one of the smaller islands in Paris.

And at the Arc de Triomphe, Place Charles de Gaulle.

We actually went to the top, and the view was pretty incredible...


All the sightseeing has been great, especially because as a student at a university in Paris, I get into all the museums (and national monuments) for free. It saves a ton of money when an entrance fee for a museum like the Louvre is 10 euros. I also found out that this applies to pretty much every museum in the EU. So next weekend when I go to Madrid (one of my favorite cities in Europe) to visit a friend who is studying abroad in Barcelona, I get into the Reina Sofia and the Prado for free.

My French is actually coming along pretty well too. I can have conversations with people in French, and they vaguely understand what I'm saying. Last weekend I went to this tea shop in the Marais, and I wanted to buy some teabags for my tea (they only sold loose tea), so I was able to describe what I wanted and the store owner understood me. I'm fully anticipating that my French will deteriorate after a weekend speaking Spanish in Madrid, but I'll worry about that later.

Anyway, that's all for now. Bonne soirée from Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment